Sunday 22 January 2012

Sunday Breakfast

What a wonderful Sunday morning,the sun has come out after days and in the kitchen my husband and I are cooking for our kids.

The children as per usual woke up before dawn and cuddling was the morning's agenda! This is one of the greatest gifts about having children-the mornings are full of excitement, games and lots of hugs and kisses!  After this, our toddler wanted pancakes so papa started on those and used Jamie Oliver's recipe which he found online. Those went down a treat with steamed apples in cinnamon and cloves and drizzlings of honey.

And for my almost 9 month old baby, I cooked suji (also known as semolina) for him for the first time and now I wish I had tried this sooner! It was baby rice in
consistency and so so creamy. Along with that, some steamed apples. So here is the recipe I used for 2 portions:

6 tablespoons of suji
1/2 cup of boiling water
1/2 apple
1 piece stick of cinnamon
1 clove
1 star anise
1 oz milk (formula or breast)

1.  Cut the apple into 3-4 pieces and remove the core. Then stick a piece of cinnamon, star anise and a clove into the pieces.
2.  Steam in a colander till soft, this will take 15 mins or so. Remove the whole spices and skin and mash.
3.  In a pan add the suji and boiling water and cook on medium heat till porridge like in consistency.
4.  Combine the suji and apple, and add the milk and stir together.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,
    I made this and he loved it. The only problem was it was a bit lumpy. I stirred while on the boil but the suji still had lumps...not sure why?
    x Nilima

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this recipe ! Will definitely try this for my 11 month old !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shweta! Hope your little one enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete