Wednesday 7 March 2012

Eating out in Bombay, NOT Child Friendly!

Its been a month since my last entry and this is because we were away on holiday in sunny Bombay. This was the first time for my son, and the third time for my daughter. It had been a year since our last trip and I had forgotten how difficult the city is with a child, not to mention this time two children.

As you can imagine there were lots of family visits which meant lots of eating out. In Bombay, our local couple friends with babies/toddlers don't go out to restaurant. There are no high chairs/booster seats in sight. We went to the following restaurants: Indigo Deli, Smoke House Deli, China Garden, Amadeus, and Cafe Zoe. All the restaurants mentioned are relatively new and serve contemporary food and attract a broad clientele, both locals and out of towners. I spoke to the manager at Cafe Zoe, who happens to be a friend of my hubby and as well as a new father, and has ordered high chairs for his restaurant as well as changing table in the bathrooms. I was naturally pleased when I heard this.  The only restaurant which had high chairs was Royal China near Sterling Cinema and of course the CCI. I was shocked that Bombay today with its influx of tourists and foreigners doesn't welcome children to their eateries.I am sure there are other places that do welcome kids and now I wish I had done some research before hand, so Bombay parents please fill me in for next time!

So if children are not accommodated then naturally there is no children's menu, or changing tables in the bathroom. Perhaps its just me coming from London but eating out with my children is a very normal and enjoyable thing to do. But this is mainly due to the restaurants being accommodating and welcoming children with high chairs, children's menus, space to park buggies, crayons and coloring pads to entertain themselves. In Bombay, it seems that their either isn't a demand for high chairs as families don't take their children out to eat. Why is this? Is it because usually in tow is a nanny and to take the nanny out to an expensive restaurant is a no no?  I feel that the whole restaurant experience is off putting to parents. Children aren't accommodated and therefore aren't taken out. In London I wouldn't think twice unless it was a fine dining restaurant. So for parents visiting Bombay in the near future, I suggest call up restaurants before hand and check if they have high chairs so that your eating experience isnt manic like ours were!

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I agree. It sucks to take kids out to restaurants here. However, I also think it is a cultural thing not to have high chairs. A regular Indian home will not have high chairs for their kids. It's a small percentage of parents from our generation who have started to buy high chairs. Culture of feeding children why they play or run around is extremely common and actually the done thing. Dont even get me started on car seats!

    I would only consider restaurants in 5 star Hotels with the kids as they have high chairs, kids menus and entertainment for children. They also have lots of open space for the kids to run around. So in the Suburbs there is Taj Lands End, The Marriot, Westin, Holiday Inn...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meghna, do children have low chairs and tables to sit and eat from? or do they only eat while they are playing and running about? Gosh this must get really time consuming and tiring on moms.I guess it puts the fun element into eating, but then children don't learn to eat at the table or with grown ups. I have a bumbo that I use and it has come with us on every holiday! I guess I rely heavily on these things..
    We borrowed car seats from friends when we visited and they were so handy, esp for afternoon naps and if i was driving kids about. Thanks for the names of child friendly restaurants, will definitely check them out next time round...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a chicken and egg situation - parents in India dont take kids out because the necessary arrangements (high chairs, kids' menus, entertainment options etc) are not available and also because they seem to consider it a big hassle to manage kids at such outings minus the nannies (yes, it sounds unbelievable, but is true !) The restaurants in India dont have all this as they dont see much demand for it ! but maybe, if they started doing it they may see more people coming in with kids.. I went to a child's birthday party in India in recent years ... it was on a weekday evening and whilst most of the mums were at home, they sent their children to the party with the nannies and drivers - that should say a lot about how going out with children is so not the thing in India. I understand what you are saying about London, where I used to love taking Samaira out for meals most often... as I do here in Singapore... but India really has a long way to go in that direction

    ReplyDelete