Thursday 29 December 2011

Kheer (rice pudding)

Something for breakfast, or perhaps dessert? I've been coming up with different breakfast recipes for my son, and this has hit the nail on the head. Not sweet like the traditional recipe, but wonderfully aromatic as I have used saffron and other whole spices. It does take 20 mins to cook, but don't let this put you off. You can prepare this the night before. Just stir in some hot milk till creamy and serve.

I made 2 portions:


3 tbspns basmati rice, washed and soaked (for an hour if you can)
1 cup of water
whole spices: cardamom pod, small cinnamon stick
4-5 strands of saffron
7 tbspns full fat milk

1. Add the rice and a cup of water into a saucepan.
2. Once the water starts to boil, add the cardamom and cinnamon stick.
3. Turn the fire to medium heat and put the lid on.
4. The rice will take 20 mins to overcook. There will be hardly any water remaining in the pan.
5. Add the milk and saffron. Continue to stir till the kheer starts to bubble.
6. Use a masher to break down the rice.
7. Remove the whole spices and allow to cool before serving.

1 comment:

  1. I am feeding my son now and as I made the kheer an hour ago, the rice has expanded and gotten thick. I have added some hot water and mixed it with the kheer and this has made it easy to swallow.

    ReplyDelete