Wednesday 29 May 2013

Spain

The family and I got back from our holiday in Spain, and if I'm honest it was a mixed bag for me. When one thinks of Spain, images of the sun, sand and sangria come to mind. However, the reality was that my 2 year old got off the plane with a tummy bug and fever and that just equalled disaster from the word go.

My 4 year old on the other hand was fine with her routine being stretched, i.e late bed times, eating at obscure times and not napping was part of the holiday excitement. I can honestly say that it gets easier the older they get. But my son, found his system very affected. He was tired most of the time, even though he would catch up with naps through the day and didn't take to the local food either which made for a very cranky child! He had lost his appetite due to the tummy bug and all he could keep down was milk and strawberry yoghurt. Luckily by the end of the trip his appetite increased but his moodiness didn't.

It made me reassess whether next time we should stick to our usual plan of renting a serviced apartment that way I could cook and the children eat better and at their times. The last time we went to Miami, my son was still nursing and my daughter was over 2, and having a kitchen really helped. Eating restaurant food for a week just didn't work. By the end of the holiday I have to admit we were all craving home cooking. The minute we plonked our suitcases in the living room, I ran to the kitchen and cooked us dinner. My son breathed a sigh of relief as he scoffed down simple yet familiar yellow lentils with rice!

On a positive note, Spain had many wonderful foods on offer and the wedding was truely a gastronomical affair. I was able to capture some beautiful photos below that I'd like to share...

Quail Eggs

Cheese, Cheese and More Cheese...

Fried Egg and Asparagus on a Bed of Crispy Chips

Salami and Olives

'Gula' or Sautéed Eels on Quail Eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment